Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Good times in Guilin

This is in Guilin, China. For those of you who went--remember how beautiful it was??! I found this online today and set it as the desktop background on my computer so that I can look at it while I study and feel calmed as I remember the beauty of that place. It worked. When I feel overwhelmed, I look at it and I'm able to remember the bigger picture, and think about the most important things in life. If you haven't been, you should go.

ps. While there my two lovely now-married friends and I were on a hot-air balloon ride with an old Australian guy and the most INSANELY FUNNY English woman I've ever met who wore a matching shirt and shorts that were striped with every color of the rainbow. The whole time she was laughing while lavishly swearing and yelling "SHAY SHAY!" (supposed to be thank you in Chinese) in a thick English accent. Then we ran out of fuel and crashed. Into a rice patty. Narrowly missing a bamboo forest. And then once we'd made our way through the knee-deep mud and rice, a random van pulled up and we got in. They took us to a market and just dropped us off...so we bought some water to wash off the mud that was encrusted onto our legs, and then we hung out and eventually made our way home. On the way back I heard people talking about how a hot air balloon crashed earlier that day, and I was thrilled to realize that WE WERE FAMOUS!

5 comments:

Annie and Kyle said...

Aubrey! Thank you for posting this...so many fun memories. I wasn't lucky enough to be on the hot air balloon ride, but I was on that trip with you. Oh I wish I was there right now floating down the river on a bamboo raft (minus the hurricane)! Ha ha! -Annie

Sarah said...

Wait, I think I remember seeing a rainbow-striped matching shirt and short set in your closet when we were in high school- are you talking about yourself in 3rd person again? jk Beautiful picture, Aubs! Love you tons!

Allysa said...

Wow, that a seriously intense story. Certainly one to tell! And that's sad that you''re not coming to visit, I was looking forward to meeting you as well. Hopefully soon! That photograph is beautiful by the way, you're so lucky to have been to that place.

Allysa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allysa said...

Oh! And thank you very much for the compliment and wish for my snake.